New Mexico Trucking Accidents Caused by Truck Rollovers
Big Rig Rollovers Causing New Mexico Trucking Accidents
One of the scariest type of New Mexico trucking accidents is when a large commercial truck rolls over. When a big rig like a box truck, tractor trailer, 18 wheeler, double trailer, tandem trailer, tanker, semi tractor trailer, or other large commercial truck falls to its side, the risk of serious personal injury is massive to anyone in the truck or around the truck. This risk includes crushing injuries from the collision and crash itself, as well as the risk of secondary injuries from fires, spilled cargo, or explosions due to the rollover or due to the spilled cargo.
Here at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys, our Albuquerque 18 wheeler attorneys know how dangerous rollover crashes are for everyone on or near the roadway. This is particularly true on interstates like I-10, I-40, and I-25 where help may be miles and a long time away. Individuals injured when a truck rollovers could be very serous injured or wrongfully killed and, generally, a truck rollover is caused by the negligence of a truck driver. Call us for a FREE consultation by dialing (505) 883-5000 to learn more.
Liability in Rollover Big Rig Crashes in New Mexico
Generally, a big rig does not just rollover by itself. While it does happen, it is very rare for a rollover to occur. This is because a truck rollover is usually due to the negligence of a truck driver or trucking company. Usually that negligence is actually gross negligence due to incredibly reckless, careless, or criminally negligent conduct.
Some common causes of 18 wheeler rollovers caused by negligence or gross negligence include the following:
- Turning too hard;
- Driving too fast during a turn;
- Tire blowout or multiple tire failure after one tire fails;
- Improperly loading cargo (not balanced on one side);
- Improperly securing cargo causing it to slide to one side and flip the tractor over;
- Improper braking (braking too hard or at the last second);
- Failing to negotiate a turn properly (taking the wrong angle at the wrong speed); and
- Many other causes.
Anytime a truck rollover accident occurs, it is likely that one or more of these factors are at play. This means that a victim of a New Mexico trucking accident caused by a truck rollover may be entitled to compensation.
Trucking Companies May be Liable for Negligent Training, Supervision, Hiring, or Maintenance
In addition to the truck driver being act fault for negligently driving, the trucking company may also be at fault. The basis for the liability is usually vicarious liability, meaning that the acts of the truck driver are imputed against the trucking company. But liability may be independent from the trucking accident and based on actions by the trucking company prior to the accident.
Some common claims that may be against a trucking company after a big rig rollover wreck may include the following:
- Negligent hiring of a truck driver who is not qualified or able to operate a large commercial truck;
- Negligent supervision of a truck driver, and failing to ensure that the truck driver is complying with New Mexico law, FMCSA regulations, and company policies and procedures;
- Negligent training of a truck driver, such as instructing him or her in the improper use of a truck, improper loading, or both, which could have contributed to the rollover wreck;
- Failing to properly maintain the large commercial truck so as to cause the rollover crash, including improper use of tires, improper brakes maintenance, using defective trailers, and other maintenance issues; and
- Other claims against the trucking company.
Victims of New Mexico Rollover Trucking Crashes Should Call Our Firm
If you or a loved one were seriously injured or wrongfully killed in a New Mexico trucking accident when a large box truck rolled over, please contact our Albuquerque trucking accident attorneys to learn what your rights to compensation may be at the NM Truck Accident Attorneys by dialing (505) 883-5000. You can also contact us on our website through the easy to use and convenient Contact box located by clicking here.