Costs of Spinal Cord Injuries After a New Mexico Trucking Accident
Know the Real Costs of a Spinal Cord Injury After a New Mexico Trucking Accident From Our Albuquerque Trucking Accident Lawyers
A New New Mexico trucking accident could cause many different types of serious or catastrophic personal injuries. One of the most serious and catastrophic personal injuries after a New Mexico trucking accident is a spinal cord injury. Also known as an SCI, a spinal cord injury could cause various different types of paralysis. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statical Center (NSCISC), motor vehicle accidents are the most common cause of the spinal cord injury is the most common type of spinal cord injury is quadriplegia. The lifetime costs of spinal cord injuries after a New Mexico trucking accident can be in the millions and staggering for victims and their families.
Here at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C., our experienced Albuquerque trucking accident lawyers know how devastating spinal cord injuries can be. We have built a firm dedicated around representing victims with catastrophic personal injuries after all types of motor vehicle accidents, especially 18 wheeler wrecks. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured after a tractor trailer collision, there is absolutely no risk for you to work with our law firm right away. This is because we accept cases on a contingency fee basis meaning that you do not owe us any money until we collect compensation for you in a settlement or recovery. Learn how we can help you battle the costs of spinal cord injuries after a New Mexico trucking accident.
Costs of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are many obvious and upfront costs of spinal cord injuries. The NSCISC estimates that the first year expenses for a quadriplegia patient will be over $1.1 million and over $550 million for a paralysis patient. As for the lifetime cost, a victim at the age of 25 who suffers from quadriplegia will spend over $5 million in his or her lifetime, whereas a victim at the age of 25 who suffers from paraplegia we’ll have a lifetime cost of about $2.5 million. These are staggering costs, especially considering that these injuries may result in different types of work restrictions.
There are many upfront costs and hidden costs of spinal cord injuries which our experienced Albuquerque trucking accident lawyers may be able to obtain from negligent parties. It is important that all victims know about these costs so that they can be fairly compensation in a settlement or trial.
Upfront Costs of Spinal Cord Injuries
Initially, the medical care and treatment necessary to stabilize a patient is important and critical. This includes hospital stays, medications, surgeries, and other therapy. Some of the obvious upfront costs include the following:
- Spinal surgery costs
- Rehabilitation costs such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, and vocational therapy
- Medication cost, especially for painkillers and antibiotics
- Nursing care cost, especially long-term care costs associated with a victim who ages and becomes elderly
- Doctor’s appointments and medical checkups
- Medical equipment and mobility assistance devices such as canes, wheelchairs, and other devices
- Modifications to one’s home or vehicle such as a chairlift, and
- Many other upfront costs.
Hidden Costs of Spinal Cord Injuries
Outside of the obvious costs of a spinal cord injury, there are many hidden costs. These are the costs that victims need a strong advocate for to protect their rights. Some of the most common types of hidden costs include the following:
- Additional airfare cost if you need to bring an assistant to help you
- Some hotels charge more for bottom floor rooms due to ease of access to amenities
- Eating out expenses due to being unable to routinely cook for oneself without great difficulty
- Mental health issues which require care and treatment for certain conditions, such as depression or anxiety
- Other associated health issues such as infections or pressure sores from being unable to move frequently
- Paying for closer parking at events, including tipping valet attendants, or having to pay for handicap parking stickers, and
- Other extra expenses.
Injured in a New Mexico Trucking Accident Resulting in Spinal Cord Injuries? We Can Help
The upfront and hidden costs of spinal cord injuries are staggering. If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in a New Mexico trucking accident due to the negligent of another driver, business, or government entity, ask what our Albuquerque trucking accident lawyers can do to help you. We represent victims who have been catastrophically injured due to the reckless or careless actions of others. Call to schedule your FREE appointment with our lawyers at the Caruso Law Offices, P.C. by dialing (505) 883-5000.
We handle causes throughout New Mexico, including Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, Cuervo, Rio Rancho, Clovis, Farmington, Hobbs, Albuquerque where our office is located, and anywhere else throughout New Mexico. Please call to schedule for FREE appointment by dialing (505) 883-5000 or contact us through our website’s easy to use and convenient contact box available here.